Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Running Shoes

I got my new shoes on Saturday! Brooks, size 11B. They are the Adrenaline model.

I was pretty determined to get shoes that fit properly. I had to get over that I probably out-weighed the two salesmen in the store. And, I had to be determined not to just accept the first pair if they didn't fit. Well, I tried on 4 pairs, and one of them twice (with different lace patern).

When I went in, the salesman had me walk in my socks with my jeans rolled up. He mentioned that with my low arches, I would need a shoe with extra support. Well, I was pretty impressed right there. I hadn't mentioned that my feet are close to flat! I tried on a pair of Asics. They felt really good - like I wanted to start running, but they were tight on my feet. He told me that the Asics won't give me the support I need, and that pair was just to give us a starting point.

Then, I tried on Brooks. One was still too small (my toes had no room), the next was too loose, the next was good in the toes, bad in the heel... Eventually, we got to a pair that was really close. We moved the lace to a different last hole, and they fit great. I was ready to go.

Then, he asked me to get on the treadmill so he could see me run to be sure they were good. I needed a boost of confidence then - someone was going to watch me run (and jiggle). Well, I was able to run without holding on for the minute or so that he watched. He pronounced that the shoes should be good - the instep, box, blah blah was good on this shoe.

I did ask if he recommended two pairs. I know when I get to running four days a week, I will need them. He said not yet. I really liked that they didn't do the hard sell. AND, he was very encouraging - he didn't laugh when I said I was thinking of a marathon in a eleven and a half months. The best - he didn't say "good luck". He said, "see you soon". Yes, in another 200 miles or so.

I did ask about Brooks. I have never heard of them brand. He said they are strictly a running shoe. So, that means they sold me a pair of running shoes. Do they only sell those to runners?

2 comments:

Andria said...

Wohhhoooo for new sneakers!!! I love sneaker shopping. And don't ever think you're talking about your kicks too much. I always loving talking about sneaks.

SargeInNorman said...

Next weekend Andria, Hayley and I are all doing the sneaker shopping trip in the OKC. I am very excited for getting my own new pair. The two pairs I have been rotating I am unsure of the mileage. I have had them awhile.