Monday, November 10, 2008

Half Marathon - Almost

I did my 13 mile run yesterday. It didn't do 13.1, like I had planned. I made a common rooky mistake. I wore a new pair of sneakers for the first time on the run. I figured - oh, it's only 13 miles, so it can't be bad. It was aweful. They felt really stiff, and my middle toe on the right was really hurting by mile 3. I had to edit my run and my walk style. I know - I should not do that because it could hurt something else. But, I got through my 13 miles. It was the most painful run I have done to date. As soon as I got to 13.01, I stopped and took off those shoes! My feet feel fine today - and did last night as well. So, no permanent damage. I will break in the new shoes before the next really long run - 17 miles in two weeks.

I did this run a little different as well. I took the dog out first and we did 5.09 miles together. It was raining when we started, and the leaves on the ground were a little slick. I was hurting and went home after the 5 miles. I stopped to pee (I always have to do that when running I guess), then immediately got onto my home treadmill. The treadmill didn't help the pain, and I much prefer to run outside (who would have known that when i started all this?), so after exactly 2 miles in 30:02, I went back out for another 5 miles. I ran/walked to the running park that is 2 miles away. I figured as long as I could get there, I'd be forced to get more miles because I had to get back home. I did a 1 mile lap there, then headed home again. I got home with 0.94 miles left to do, so back on the treadmill. When I hit 0.95 miles, I stopped! So, I had to add my distances (twice on the treadmill, and once on the Garmin), and add my times (which my wonderful hubby wrote down from the treadmill).

I did 13 miles in 3 hours, 26 minutes! The Disney marathon requires 16:00 miles, sustained through 26.2 miles. That would be 3:28 for the 13 miles. So, I beat it by 2 minutes!!! The first mile overall was my slowest. That was the section in the woods with the dog, and I did it in ~20 minutes. (I was worried about wet leaves, and trying hard to stretch out muscles. I was damaged after last week's run, so I didn't want a repeat.) I made up the time, and my fasted mile was towards the end of the first five miles - 13:27. That was when I realized that running (instead of walking) made my toe hurt less. The last five miles had very little running, mostly walking - but that is ok for Disney.

I haven't taken an Tylenol, and I guess I won't. I like that I can recover. Everything is just stiff.

1 comment:

Tracie said...

I have no words of wisdom - you have surpassed me and you will soon be giving me words of wisdom. Way to go P....very impressive. You should be very proud of yourself for setting goals and accomplishing them. A lot of people in this country can't do that. So good for you. Just keep it up. Very Motivating.