Monday, November 17, 2008

Running - Excuses or Reasons?

I "ran" the four miles mentioned before. My toe went numb after the 2.5 mile, again. But, I don't have an open blister. It just feels like a scabbed or hard blister area on my foot that maybe is making the toe feel numb. So, I started to wear different shoes last week during the day. On Saturday, I did four miles in the 13-mile shoes, and sure enough, after 3.5 miles, my toe felt numb. But, I had a worse injury.

On Saturday, when I got out of bed, my right ankle was having problems. About every third or fouth step, it wouldn't hold my weight. It kept feeling like I was twisting it anew. Now, I had very weak ankles before I started this running stuff. I was 260 pounds, and now at 220, I have removed ~1600 lbs of pressure off my ankles. So, it was discouraging. I put on the 13 mile shoes for the 4 mile walk. I tried to run, but every time I did, I would have the ankle twinge. But, by walking, I was sort of ok. I did four miles in a long time (~20 minutes per mile, way worse then Disney), but I did it. And, after the first mile, my ankle didn't do any twisting - unless I tried to run on it. So, i walked. And, yes my toe started to go numb, BUT, I felt like my shoes were giving me some extra support I really needed. It was very rainy and wet, so maybe that will help "break in" my shoes. I remembered that with the other pairs, I had run through rain early in each's life with me. I know - you should not "break in" new shoes - that only breaks them. But, I gotta be able to use these sneakers.

On Sunday, I woke up with the ankle almost as bad. It was supposed to be a 9 mile day. I AM committed to my long runs, but this 9-miler was to be a recovery run post-13 miles. SO, I walked the dog for two miles, then went to the gym. I lifted weights - skipping the one that requires my ankle use. Then, I did 45 minutes on the reclining bike. I had to use my ankle, but not to hold my weight. I wore an older pair of sneakers because the new ones were wet still.

Today (Monday), my ankle isn't too bad. I have had some twinges, but not nearly as bad as the weekend. Today is a rest day - only a two mile walk with the dog. No running. Tomorrow, I will do the gym again. Lifting and bike. I will do a couple of hours on the bike tomorrow. I think the 9-miler would have taken me 2+ hours, so that is how I will compensate for not running it. I need to strengthen the ankle, but not re-injure it. I don't know how I injured it in the first place.

SO, is the bike use a suitable substitute? Is the ankle just an excuse not to run, or a valid reason? I am disappointed in myself that I missed my long run. B told me that you just have to committ to your long run days and you can train for the marathon. I think I am committed. I am thinking already of the 15 miler I have to do on Sunday...

2 comments:

Tracie said...

Don't you dare get discouraged now - you have come WAY too far for that. Running is a strenuous exercise - it's hard on all parts of your body - look at my brother, seems like something different is always a problem - you adjust and move on - you DON'T get discouraged. I had no idea you had lost 40 pounds - that's healthier for your body all by itself. You have made adjustments to your workout, ensuring not to reinjure the ankle - have you looked into ankle braces? It won't solve the problem but they are very affordable and will help you keep from twisting it in the future. I think you know what to do, and yes, I think you are extremely dedicated....your heart is in this and you just need to keep moving forward. OOH RAH!!!

What Me Run? said...

I am going now to try on an ankle brace - nothing heavy duty, just something to keep it in line. It probably happened because the new shoes made me move differently. I am not discouraged too much. i am looking forward to spending two hours in the gym on the bike.

And, this way, when I am done, my ankle will be a lot more strong!

The forty pounds includes weight lost before official training, but since we got the dog and I have been working out.