Thursday, September 3, 2009

19 and a half weeks to go

Yesterday was the third run day of training. It stunk. I couldn't get myself motivated to run. I started out planning to run for 40 minutes (which is the training plan). I just couldn'g get my feet to move faster. So I did my 45 minutes of "cross training" (walking) instead. I will have to run tonight, since today was supposed to be the cross training day.

I have to get my head into the run. I was reading my posts from last year - and I remember feeling that excited. I just had a bad day yesterday - I know I will get my head back soon. I just need to write about it. Last years blogs don't have any negative ones, but I am pretty sure I had crappy days then, too. I just came home last night feeling fat and stupid and not sweaty enough. Running for me is mental, so I am writing this down to get it out and move past it. I just couldn't make my feet go faster. I didn't want to hear the slapping of tummy fat on thighs, or worry about turning an ankle, or try to run until I couldn't breathe. I did have a touch of loose bowels, so I was fighting that. But, I had that on the marathon day and it didn't stop me. I need to get my mantra back out that I hate running, I hate running, I hate running. That sometimes motivates me to run.

OK, today is another day.

2 comments:

Tracie said...

P - you are sooo awesome. I know you can do this, there is no doubt in my mind. I've seen the pictures of you at Disney doing it. Your entire family supports you. I hate running too but think of the HEALTHY things...think of how healthy it makes your heart...remember how much easier it was kicking the ball around with TK or climbing a flight of stairs. It's always the little things in life that get us through. The beginning is ALWAYS miserable...just keep pushing through. Don't lose motivation now. The endorphins WILL kick in and these runs will be like NOTHING. I know your dog loves it when you're training for a marathon. You can do this...I know you can...you just got to get through these first couple of tough weeks!! Don't look at all the negatives...start looking at the positives.

Hayley said...

Boo for crappy runs! Unfortunately, they do happen now and then, but you just have to remember the awesome runs and that will help get you through! Running is in many ways just like life in general: sometimes it sucks and it's crappy and makes you cry or want to cry - and then sometimes it's wonderful and amazing and uplifting! :D Just think of the good times and that will help - also visualizing the medal you're working for helps because you know it'll symbolize all your hard work.

More ideas: watch Spirit of the Marathon (very motivating!), call your siblings who run to work out the mental issues, and try substituting some runs for local 5K or 10K races. Races always are motivational, especially when the entry fee goes towards a great cause!

Hope these ideas help! Love you and Happy Feet!:D