Thursday, February 21, 2008

Do the Clothes Make the Man?

I went shopping for running clothes yesterday. The running store does not have clothes for the large runner. I was a size 26/28 (3X) last July, and I still think of myself as that. I've lost 30+ pounds, and I am exercising, so I usually do wear 22/24 (2X) shirts and 24W pants.

After looking at the running store when I got my shoes a few weeks ago, I realized I would have a little trouble. C. at the running club mentioned trying the men's department at WalMart. You may remember an earlier blog about having to wear my husband's sweat pants because women's in that size don't have drawstrings...

The men's running pants fit great, but were way too long. I am not a seamstress enough to hem the fabric. But, the running shirt fit fine. Very clingy - shows off the curves. But, it fit. The women's running shirts are cut weird and have a shelf on the inside. Do they think that little shelf will act as a running bra for big girls?! It's a joke. And, I am too self-conscious to wear it and my running bra showing through. (But hey, they did have a women's workout shirt in size 20.)

I did find in the ladies section - running pants and a jacket. The pants don't have a drawstring still. The set was size XL - 16/18! My step-dad would have said that I look like 10 pounds of sausage in a 5 pound casing, but I will grow (down) to them. I wore them for a run last night, and they kept the sweat away. My socks were soaked, but the rest of me was ok. But, it was colder running in them then the sweat shirt and t-shirt material.

Best thing - I bought something in the regular size section of the store - not the plus size!

1 comment:

Andria said...

Wow! Congrats on the run and finding some running gear. I've heard they make TK think of someone I know...

I have a pair of shorts that also do the sausage thing, but I still love them.