Wednesday, February 6, 2008

First 5K

Well, we did it! My sister M, my friend A and I completed our first 5K in a while. For me it had been about 10 years, and for A it was 2 years since our last 5K. All in all, not bad. M did great!!! She finished first in her class. And, she beat her pre-race set goal. A and I wanted to finish in less than an hour. Then on the course we said, let's make that 1:10. Well, we did it in 54:48! So, we beat our pre-race set goal. I was so proud of these two women with me. M ran the whole way. She paced it well - and pushed it. A and I ran/walked/ran/walked. A really pushed herself. I am so glad we did it.
When we finished, we found the rest of the runners waiting for us. We completed the board, so they could post the results. Then, A & I won prizes in the raffle. There was a yummy looking zucchini bread to choose, but I picked running gloves. I felt proud then to - because I love zucchini bread.
I am planning to go again this weekend and ask for an early start. I can start 15 minutes ahead of the rest of the pack. I hope to do it in 50 minutes. That means, everyone else will pass me on the route, but I won't feel that I am holding them back at the end. The "no excuses" commercial that I have posted lists "I don't want to hold you up" as an excuse. So, I am working around that.
I like to think I can do it faster, because I wasn't completely wiped out at the end. After the 5K, we drove the route to talk about what everyone was thinking at each leg of the race. Then, I went home and walked the dog. Poor dog - we only did the 1.7 mile loop, not the 2.2 mile loop he likes better. But, I am worried that without a buddy I will lag - especially on the hills.
So, I still hate running - but I am looking forward to next week's run when I will push my limits harder.
Oh, and I asked for information about joining the running club. The lady said, here is the info table, and be sure to take this flyer. It was a flyer for running id - so if you collapse on the course, they can find out who you are (for medical emergencies). Hmm....

3 comments:

Andria said...

The ID thing is funny! But I don't think you'll need to worry. You are doing great!

Joy | Love | Chaos said...

I *love* the road id! I try to wear mine all the time -- biking, running, at races, etc. I have bee sting allergies. And even though I haven't been stung since I was a little kid, what if I do? How would medics know? Anyway, I think it's really important to have that emergency number there so docs can (if they need to) talk to someone who knows my meds and health history. And stuff can happen any time -- I was running on a road in my home town a few years ago, took a brutal digger and cut my leg open. TONS of cars saw me go down and totally incapacitated on the side of the road. Zero stopped. Lovely.

Anyway, I love my little ID thingie!

K80K said...

I have a Road ID. I feel like it is better to be safe than sorry. ;) Congrats on your 5K. You did awesome!