Monday, March 24, 2008

Another 5K Done

Well, the weather was cold and brisk, and there were some wind gusts, but, it was a nice day for a run. I did the 5K in 39:36 - which beat the previous time by 24 seconds. Garmin agreed with the time (within a few seconds - which was me havng to raise my arm enough to hit "stop"). I didn't run the whole way, but well more than half of it, probably three quarters of it. My average speed was 13:54. Better than needed for disney, but I couldn't have kept up the pace.

This week, there was a runner I'd met before that had hurt her knee when skiing the previous weekend. She stayed with me and we talked - she talked while we ran, then when I could talk again during the walking breaks, we would run again. She told met to just go my pace and she would keep up with me. I feel that maybe I would have run more often if she wasn't there. We did have a good conversation, and I could have used that breath for running. And, there were times when we ran maybe faster than I should have. BUT, she kept me motivated as well. We would set a goal to run, then we would high five when we made it. She was great to run with. Next week, I have to run by myself. I have to try to keep the run pace. At this point, I am not sure I will make that goal.

Things to work on this week - I need to get hydrated. I was feeling low on hydration from Thursday on, and it really hit me during the race. I also thought I need to try some Gu. I feel silly needing nutrition after 2 miles, but I felt like I lost steam past the half way point. I was wiped out after the race and I think that had something to do with it.

I need to get more intense on the dog walks this week. I have the Garmin now to tell me when I have gone two miles. I want to repeat at least the pace I had this week for two miles, but better to do three miles.

I have signed up to do a 5K in my home town - with many runners and not ones in my running club. I will give details on that later.

3 comments:

Andria said...

I'm so proud of the time you knocked off the 5k after not being able to do it for a few weeks! You rock and I know you'll make your goal. It's just getting your brain to believe it.

I'm still on the fence about GU for short runs. I think you should try a powerbar - they are chewy and super sweet, but they are what I use before a run. The peanut butter has only 2g of fiber (which is the one case when you want low fiber). Some people like Cliff bars. Eat it on the way to the run with a bunch of water. I have a tendency to drink a lot of water before I run which means I have to pee a lot, but I'd rather be hydrated.

Tracie said...

For short runs (in the Marine corps we do a lot of 3 mile runs and a 5K is what - 3.1 miles right?) hydration isn't something you do the day of the run - it starts before then - at least 3 or 4 days before - I can't help for longer runs but for short runs, I'm your woman - complex carbs the day before - think rice and spaghetti and you'll have plenty of energy the morning/day of the race as long as you are hydrated. This info won't help once you start doing longer runs but for now it will help quite a bit and just another bit of motivation - if you were running your Physical Fitness Test in the Marine corps - as a female over 37 years old, you would have 33 minutes to run 3 miles. So I still think that you're doing awesome and you are headed in the right direction.

Joy | Love | Chaos said...

This is great news! You should be very proud of your run! I agree with Tracie to get hydrated the days before. Your body needs time to absorb fluids and for anything under an hour it's hard to realize the benefit of fluids taken on board during the race. Keep an eye on your drinking the days leading up to a race and you can go beverage free for the runs under an hour.

A Gu might be helpful if you're loosing energy midway, but I think you'll realize this starts to go away the more you're consistently doing these distances. During the first hour of a workout, the body can usually tap into the existing glycogen resources it already has before feeling a "bonk." So your fatigue may just be because you're starting out with your training goals. The more used to this type of demand your body becomes, the less fatigue you will feel. If you're eating properly in the days leading up to the race (lean meats, whole grains, lots of veggies), you will feel less and less fatigue. Soon, when you're doing longer distances and running for longer periods of time, you'll need additional "fuel." For now, I would suggest just to let your body get used to the 5K distance...which it clearly is!! :)